Posco Future M to supply battery materials for LG
简介Posco Future M said Wednesday its Pohang plant in North Gyeongsang Province had started the supply o ...
Posco Future M said Wednesday its Pohang plant in North Gyeongsang Province had started the supply of high-nickel cathode materials to the US-based Ultium Cells, the joint venture of LG Energy Solution and General Motors.
Following its manufacturing plant in Gwangyang, South Jeolla Province, the Pohang site is the company’s second production base for high-nickel cathode materials.
With the fast-growing demand for the materials from battery makers, it has moved up the schedule for commercial production by two months and started the operation in early November, according to the company.
The product consists of 86 percent nickel which boasts high levels of energy density, powerful enough to be used as battery materials for high-performance electric vehicles.
It also adopts a single-crystal structure, which combines nickel, cobalt, manganese and aluminum into a crystal that has higher energy capacity and cycle life and shows more stable heat management than the materials composed of many small crystals.
The company said the Pohang plant celebrated the first shipment of cathode materials to Ultium Cells on Nov. 27.
More details, including the supply volume, were not disclosed immediately.
“We will continue to expand the single-crystal production line within our cathode manufacturing sites to supply battery materials that can maximize driving range, stability and cycle life,” said an official from Posco Future M. “The company also plans to develop materials with diverse crystal sizes that can offer a wide range of battery performance.”
With the latest production of high-nickel cathode materials, the Pohang plant’s annual capacity is expected to more than triple from the current 30,000 tons to 106,000 tons by 2026.
Under the goal to hit 1 million tons of production capacity by 2030, Posco Future M is ramping up its global expansion. It is building two joint cathode manufacturing plants with GM and Huayou Cobalt in Canada and China, respectively, to secure a combined 60,000 tons in the coming years.
Actors and musicians have come together for a relay performance to bid a heartfelt farewell to the H ...
Jung Jae-il, music director, composer and instrumentalist, admits that Korean traditional music -- g ...
Bithumb, one of South Korea's four major cryptocurrency exchanges, is preparing to become the f ...
S. Korea asks UAE to correct nat'l flag image mix
S. Korea, US defense chiefs discuss 'tailored deterrence strategy' on N. Korea
Enjoy League of Legends World Championship at Gwanghwamun Square
British interdisciplinary artist Jane Benson turns literary texts into art
Born rich, promoted young: chaebol scions become president just after 40
SK On to furlough workers, cut production at US plant
- Everland grounds panda Fubao for trying to escape
- Chinese beer imports plunge amid Tsingtao scandal
- Global asset firms flock to Jeonju to woo pension giant
- SM to launch boy group in the UK
- Resale tickets for League of Legends World Championship go up to 3 million won
- Surf's up: Enhypen enjoys the ride with 'Orange Blood'
- Ampers&one hopes to seep into listeners’ hearts with positive music
- [New in Korean] Seven minds share single body in '7
- Yoon attends IPEF summit to discuss regional economic collaboration
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- 김용민 “尹, 총선 승리하면 계엄 선포할 것…저지선 확보해야”
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- 'Batter Up': YG rookie Babymonster to debut as six
- Seoul shares open higher despite US losses
- Gangnam teen investigated for assaulting deliveryman with golf club
- Yoon replaces spy agency leadership
- 이상민 "현실적 선택지는 국민의힘…12월 초까지 거취 결정"
- [Today’s K
- Korean banks at risk of W3tr in losses in HK
- 금태섭 “文 전 대통령, 조국 출마 적절한지 의견 분명히 해야”
- N. Korea reinstates DMZ guard posts
- 尹, 과학기술자문회의와 오찬 “예타 간소화·예산집행 유연화 필요”
- 군사력은 미국이 우위지만, 글로벌 공급망은 미·중 비등 [중앙포럼]
- Posco to start search for new chief
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- Two dead in Gyeongju construction site collapse
- KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts
- [Hello Hangeul] Welding book first in vocational Korean series for foreign labor